Todays World News (@TodaysWorldNews) / Twitter

Monday, June 6, 2011

How Sarah Palin Got it Right About Paul Revere 'Warning the British'

The Midnight Ride of Paul RevereImage via WikipediaI wonder how many feel stupid for believing this was wrong now. I heard so many people bash Palin over this. To find out she was actually right? How many actually know their history? See more here.
http://conservatives4palin.com/2011/06/governor-palin-gives-the-media-a-history-lesson-on-paul-reveres-midnight-ride.html

Those quibbling with Governor Palin’s statements have their history incomplete. During Paul Revere’s ride he was stopped by British soldiers, which Revere recounts in a 1789 letter maintained by the Massachusetts Historical Society ,in his original language (emphasis mine):
I observed a Wood at a Small distance, & made for that. When I got there, out Started Six officers, on Horse back,and orderd me to dismount;-one of them, who appeared to have the command, examined me, where I came from,& what my Name Was? I told him. it was Revere, he asked if it was Paul? I told him yes He asked me if  I was an express? I answered in the afirmative. He demanded what time I left Boston? I told him; and  aded, that their troops had catched aground in passing the River, and that There would be five hundred Americans there in a short time, for I had alarmed the Country all the way up. He imediately rode towards those who stoppd us, when all five of them came down upon a full gallop; one of them, whom I afterwards found to be Major Mitchel, of the 5th Regiment, Clapped his pistol to my head, called me by name, & told me he was going to ask me some questions, & if I did not give him true answers, he would blow my brains out. He then asked me similar questions to those above. He then orderd me to mount my Horse, after searching me for arms.He then orderd them to advance, & to lead me in front. When we got to the Road, they
turned down towards Lexington. When we had got about one Mile, the Major Rode up to the officer that was leading me, & told him to give me to the Sergeant. As soon as he took me, the Major orderd him, if I attempted to run, or any body insulted them, to blow my brains out. We rode till we got near Lexington Meeting-house, when the Militia fired a Voley of Guns, which appeared to alarm them very much.



http://news.yahoo.com/s/ac/20110605/us_ac/8588011_how_sarah_palin_got_it_right_about_paul_revere_warning_the_british
Sarah Palin stepped out of Paul Revere's home in Boston and appeared to get her history wrong. The Internet then exploded in ridicule and astonishment at the ditz from Alaska once again uttering nonsense.
It started when Palin told a questioner, according to the Daily Caller, that Revere had had "warned the British" and not the colonials. The firestorm was instantaneous and viral. From staid organs of the mainstream media like the Los Angeles Times to the snarky left side of the Internet such as the Daily Kos, almost everyone arose in high dudgeon.
Except, albeit somewhat clumsily expressed, Palin was correct.
Professor William A. Jacobson over at Legal Insurrection notes the memoirs of Revere himself, as pointed out by the Conservatives4Palin site. In it, Revere recounts an incident during the famous Midnight Ride in which he was accosted by a British military patrol and was interrogated about what his business was on the road. Revere indicated to his British captors that he had warned the countryside of the approach of British troops up the Lexington-Concord road, matching pretty much what Palin said.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

The Truth about the Palestinian and Israeli conflict