- Death of Osama bin Laden
- US forces kill Osama bin Laden in Pakistan
- Bin Laden's body cleansed before sea burial
- The scene in the Situation Room
- US tracked couriers to elaborate bin Laden compound
- Analysis: Little real impact to Al-Qaida
- PhotoBlog: Bin Laden 'death photo' a fake?
- 'I'm the guy who liveblogged the Osama raid'
- A timeline of Osama bin Laden's life
- Bush, victims react to bin Laden's death
- breakingnews.com: Get the latest updates
- The deceased's body was washed and then placed in a white sheet.
- The body was placed in a weighted bag.
- A military officer read prepared religious remarks that were translated into Arabic by a native speaker.
- After the words were complete, the body was placed on a prepared flat board, tipped up, whereupon the deceased's body eased into the sea from the USS Carl Vinson.
A U.S. official said that the burial decision was made after concluding that it would have been difficult to find a country willing to accept the remains. There also was speculation about worry that a grave site could have become a rallying point for militants.
President Barack Obama said the remains had been handled in accordance with Islamic custom, which requires speedy burial.